What’s your favorite...

Join in on the general discussion on anything or everything. No topics that will result in debates or would be distasteful. Keep it clean!
OffbeatJenny

What’s your favorite...

Post by OffbeatJenny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 am

Random general topic: What’s your favorite genre of games? (Or genres!)

Mine is Open world games!
:lol:
~Jenny

thephantom
Site Admin

Re: What’s your favorite...

Post by thephantom » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:55 am

Oh yes, open world games are great!
My favorite open world games are: Minecraft (FTB modded is great as well), 7 Days to Die, Skyrim, GTAV and Fallout76 (yes I enjoy it).

But I also like RPGs such as Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, but I also love Zelda and Pokemon.

What are some of your favorite open world games?
AetherStory - Co-op Multiplayer RPG In Development

greenraven

Post by greenraven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 pm

All of them? :lol:

I don't really play any one kind of game over another. I tend to rotate a lot. RPGs, FPSs, strategy games, MOBAs. I have a video game buffet appetite.

LagunaX1

Post by LagunaX1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 am

Very much the same as Green of the Raven clan. I'll bounce around between games like Final Fantasy to Uncharted to to GTA to Total War to Resident Evil and right now I've been playing Fallout 76 and just started Detroit: Become Human last night.

But if I had to choose one type of game genre to play for ever it would be Open World, since they have so much to do within them and a lot of genres have attempted that type of of game. You have your Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Sleeping Dogs, Shenmue, Red Dead Redemption, GTA, Spiderman and Arkham games and a ton of others I haven't got around to playing but want to such as the new Zelda game.
AetherStory - Co-op Multiplayer RPG In Development
Proud Member of the Phanxgames Development Team!

DerVVulfman

Post by DerVVulfman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:56 am

Ye open worlde! Seriously, Jean Luc Picard of the Enterprise was the Emperor in Oblivion... ROFL

However, a good story is a necessity. Having an open world with a suck story doesn't work. There has to be something to keep you interested in returning. So don't dismiss classic RPG games be it the semi-linear Final Fantasy games or more narrow-arc games like some old-school D&D PC games.
Up is down. Left is right. And sideways is straight ahead.

Vesril

Post by Vesril » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Favorite genre...? At the moment, I'm fond of semi-linear RPGs, but that is also where the majority of my experiences in adventuring through and experiencing games lie...so I'm not sure if that's entirely a 'fair assessment' or what-have-we; I could definitely stand to diversify my exposure to other genres. :|

Beyond that, a lot of what DerVVulfman said about story applies to me as well. Slogging through the menial tasks of a not-well-narrated-or-otherwise-engrossing game, without an engaging story, is the emotional equivalent of trying to thoroughly chew on pretty thick cardboard for me: it seems to be without any decent taste, or texture/other experiences, and is basically as pointless of an exercise as I can imagine.

So, kids - make sure you have good stories once you are developing professional games! (I'm a lot more forgiving and patient with games being developed, though. I like nurturing people's artistic game design crafts. :D)

greenraven

Post by greenraven » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:25 pm

For me open world games are a bit of a double edged sword. One moment you're on your way to slay a dragon the next thing you know "oh a cave!" and it's 3 hours later and you're nowhere near where you're supposed to be. :lol:

Games like Skyrim, GTA, and Yakuza are notorious for this. My main story progression comes to a grinding halt the moment I see something shiny on the horizon.

Vesril

Post by Vesril » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 am

greenraven wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:25 pm
My main story progression comes to a grinding halt the moment I see something shiny on the horizon.
Not that I don't believe you - because I absolutely do, actually - but rather because I've played so few open world games, have you encountered any games that you would say balance that freedom with the main story's progression well, greenraven? In fact, has anyone here?

If so, I'd like to hear which ones...I'm sure that there are many games that don't manage doing that well, but that sounds like, in a world where levels for a character/characters might be concerned, or honestly even access to items and other goodies, that might really throw a game's intended difficulty balance out of whack if not accommodated for, in some (potentially rather big) ways.