Skip to Content
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'We can share!' -greenraven
'No we can't! I'll cut you!' -Paige
Paige2012-07-10 08:21:47

RPG Maker 2003 Officially Released in English!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tigurus Fay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Score: 1212
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tigurus Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPG Maker 2003 Officially Released in English!
    Posted: 4/24/2015 at 4:53pm

Hear Yee Hear Yee!
Gather round children as we have a tale to tell you! 
A tale of an old hero...

That is right. RPG Maker 2003 is now officially released in the English language.
As RPG Maker 2003 is a popular choice with the RM community since it ever was released, now every english speaking human (and other creatures) can use it.

Does it add something new however?
Not much, it is the same engine but in an official English release and with a few small features.
It seems some small things have been added but nothing that I could find that would be highy noteworthy or actually able to find without purchasing it.
You can get it on steam for a mere €19.99. Though it's on sale till 1 May with a small 15% off.

What do you guys things? Want to grab it? Think this will make more people use it? Think that even more communities will die? Leave your comments right here!

Edited by thephantom - 4/24/2015 at 10:39pm
   Likes  (2) Likes (2) : greenraven  LagunaX1 
Sponsored Links

thephantom View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Score: 1680
Post Options Post Options   Quote thephantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/2015 at 10:41pm
I am really excited for this release!
I am however waiting to buy it until I can get a license to sell it direclty here at RpgMaker.org!  They should get back to me within a few days and I will let you all know!

I doubt they will release DLC for it on Steam, so getting it through out site will not only help us out, but also you can have the installer directly on your computer!

This is really my favorite maker and I am super excited!!!!
   Likes  (0) Likes (0)
RpgLegend:
LagunaX1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Score: 2709
Post Options Post Options   Quote LagunaX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/2015 at 7:46am
I don't know if I'll ever use it or not but I'm definitely going to get it. This was the Maker I started with and I always loved the retro look and style more than the later Rpg Makers. 

A major downside is the lack of a scripting option so you have to solely rely on events and commands. Although you can do a surprising amount with them and maybe its good to be limited in someway. Also the limiting mapping options, but once again maybe the limit wasn't so bad. It forced you to be more creative I think.
   Likes  (0) Likes (0)

greenraven View Drop Down
Expert
Expert
Breaker of Servers

Score: 1227
Post Options Post Options   Quote greenraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/2015 at 9:39am
Eh. It's an obsolete piece of software. This reeks of a money grab scheme to milk a dead/dying franchise for every last penny.

Any of you actually played a 2K3 game recently? I'll remind you of a little thing called the battle gauge system. There's a reason why XP and VX sent back to the traditional turn based battle system.

Nostalgia's a funny thing. You just wait until you fire it up again and it'll all come back to you... LOL

edit:

And let me also remind you of another little thing called NO LOCAL SWITCHES. You just wait until that realization comes back to you.

Edited by greenraven - 4/25/2015 at 9:42am
   Likes  (0) Likes (0)
LagunaX1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote LagunaX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/2015 at 9:53am
Eh, XP and VX have a &%#@ battle system lol The Battle System on the 2K3 was probably the best default one of the makers. Especially since you could choose between two.

Pretty much every XP game I've played has used scripts to change the default battle system drastically. I'm pretty sure most people agree the side view ATB style is better than what XP/VX offers.

Imo 2K3 battle system was a step up from the 2K one and then they took several steps backwards with XP.

If you don't want to use scripts then 2K3 is a great option imo It has a lot of stuff you'd expect built in while XP drops a lot of features that were in 2K3 probably because they expect people to script them in.

I'm not saying its perfect, but scripting is the only reason I'd choose the other makers over it, and why I did choose them. The first thing I did was find a script to change the battle system back to a side view style that wasn't turned based.

edit: Well it's not the only reason, unlimited tilesets is the second reason I'd choose the other makers over it.

edit2: I do kind of agree its a cash grab though. I feel like they should have at least updated it in someway. If they'd add a scripting feature and made some additions, for example local switches liek you pointed out, it would be perfect I think. Maybe make the tilesets bigger or make them unlimited like XP.

I'm not sure how difficult those changes would be though.

Edited by LagunaX1 - 4/25/2015 at 10:07am
   Likes  (0) Likes (0)

thephantom View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Score: 1680
Post Options Post Options   Quote thephantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/2015 at 2:14pm
There was a petition that I signed, along with a couple thousand other people.  Asking Rpg Maker to release 2003 offically in english.  We the fans wanted it, and they did.   Is it a money grab?  That isn't the point.  They of course need to make money for the effort.  It isn't like they had to just click a button that went "Release as English".

They had to translate the whole maker.  Let me remind you that the translation into English currently was made by a fan, and sometimes was made poorly.

Additionally, they made it so FONTS in the maker are no longer based on Windows fonts.  Which was  a HUGE issue for 2003.  The fonts would be cluttered and barely readable.  That is now fixed.

They also increased the limit of pictures that can be displayed. And other smaller tune ups that -made sense- for a dated engine that they didn't want to have to reprogram huge portions of the code.  Asking them to add local variables would have been a huge refactoring, that while it would have been nice, I understand why they didn't.  Same with larger tilesets.  Or by god a fully scriptable engine.  That last one would be nearly impossible to add, as 2003 was not even built on top of Ruby, and all aspects of the engine hardcoded, exposing a scripting would have been a complete re-write, which would not have made sense at all.

They also had to ensure it worked on modern systems-- the point is, there were man hours put into this release.  And they should get a return for that.  Even if it is selling it for sub $20.  Which I think is a reasonable price. 

I for one am thankful that Rpg Maker Company finally listened to us fans, who /asked/ them to release it offically in English!  I couldn't have demanded more.  Am I going to use it?  No.  Am I going to buy it? Maybe not... haha.  But I probably am not going to be using any Maker.   If I was going to make an Rpg Maker game, I can now finally make one in 2003 and not be worried about using an illegal piece of software.  So maybe I just might reconsider making an Rpg Maker game in 2003.  It was my favorite maker, and still is. 

It is about time, long over do, we got the 2003 maker in English!

Edited by thephantom - 4/25/2015 at 2:16pm
   Likes  (0) Likes (0)
RpgLegend:
LagunaX1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote LagunaX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/2015 at 8:42am
If I'm honest, while this is a great, as a fan I'd much prefer an Rpg Maker Ultimate or something. Combine the best features (voted by fans) of each maker into one ultimate edition.

Tbh, RpgLegend almost does that from what I remember with the way you've made it user friendly for staff to add stuff lol
   Likes  (0) Likes (0)

greenraven View Drop Down
Expert
Expert
Breaker of Servers

Score: 1227
Post Options Post Options   Quote greenraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/2015 at 3:05pm
Like I said my biggest problem is that fact that this is so old. I've seen and signed the petitions myself, but that was over 10 years ago. They chose to ignore those petitions and snub their noses at us, they had their chance to take our money. Too late now.

It's like as if Nintendo suddenly decided to re-release the Famicom outside of Japan in this day and age.

But that's just my grumpy opinion, I'm not stopping anyone from buy it if they want. Tongue

Likes  (0) Likes (0)
Cherry View Drop Down
Novice
Novice

Score: 5
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/2015 at 7:51am
Actually, the main reason for not adding big new features (except for the revised event editor, fullscreen mode, etc.) was that the original source code had been lost over the years. I had to change everything by doing manual binary patching, which means all "development" takes about 5-15 times longer than it would if we still had the source.

And the petition in question was only a few years ago, not 10. I didn't know there were other petitions before that, but the company structure changed a lot since then, and there are now people who listened.

Also, I have "local switches" on my internal list of things to add, I'm just not sure how I'll do it, and I don't know whether the funding will be cut before we reach this part of the list or not.
   Likes  (2) Likes (2) : LagunaX1  Vesril 
LagunaX1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote LagunaX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/2015 at 2:32pm
Does that mean you have a list of things and some of them will be added to update 2K3? If so what kind of things should we expect?

Likes  (0) Likes (0)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic